Tuesday 17 February 2015

BA2 - Texturing in Substance Painter

Texturing in Substance Painter

Since I already have experience of texturing I decided to texture my model using a UVW map. Instead of texturing it traditionaly by using Photoshop I have lately taken a keen interest in Physically Based Rendering and the software Substance Painter, so I decided to research PBR and try it out on this sculpt. My research of PBR can be found on my blog. Of course, since Zbrush doesn’t support any other maps than a Diffuse map, the use of PBR wasn’t possible but I still decided to texture my sculpt with Substance Painter to learn the software for future use.

My low poly model, since we were not allowed to use Normal maps had to end up at a polycount around 200k polygons. This would definitly not be acceptable in a video game but if I wanted it to still look smooth without normals this was about the lowest i could go. If we would render it using Normal map’s I would create my own topology using a software called Topogun, where it would end up way less polygons.

Before importing my mesh into Substance Painter i baked an Ambient Occlusion map by using 3dsMax. I used the AO map as a replacement for the Normal Map. It won’t effect the lighting but it still will create the illusion of detail by capturing the light information (Such as highlights and shadows) from the high detailed sculpt.

My mesh imported into Substance Painter with nothing except the AO Map applied.









 Final texture map. Diffuse map and AO map combined. The final texture is 2048x2048.






No comments:

Post a Comment