Friday 6 February 2015

BA2 - Final Sculpt Progress

Final Sculpt Progress

With the right pose figured out, i turned it into a Polymesh 3D and started to sculpt my final gargoyle. I will now show my progress on how i reached the end result and also any problems that accured on the way.

First off is the result when I turned my Zspheres into Make into Polymesh 3D. I after that started off by adding basic shapes and try to get the silhouette right with as few polygons as possible.


I gradually added more polygons, refined shape. After that I got the features in place. (Nose, Mouth, Eyesockets, Ribcage, etc.)


 I continued to polish the facial features, I also added more detail in general.


After that I created tissue for her tail and ”ears”. I created another blog post about how I created this. It can be found here.


At this stage I felt rather satisfied with my shapes so I decided to Zremesh it to correct the topology.
And after that continue working on it by using subdevision.

Before Zremesh, current Polycount: 944 654

After Zremesh, new polycount: 96 429

Now, by working with subdivisions I added more refinement to the face. I also added more detailed facial features such as teeth and a tongue.


I thought that the tail on my mermaid was too big and grabbed too much attention away from the main figure itself, so I decided to recreate it.

Old tail fin

New tail fin

I started to refine the hands a bit more, added tissue between her fingers and also created finger nails in Maya and imported them into Zbrush. I created a separate blogpost about how I created the finger nails Here.


I got some feedback on the fingernails on that they were too long and not sharp enough so I decided to remake them. Here is a comparison shot.



After receiving some critique I adjusted some parts of her face, moved the jaw back a little bit etc. I also decided to remake her nose and eyes because she didn't feel monstrous enough.

Old

New


When I revamped the nose and added more detail to the face the topology got a bit off, so I decided to Zremesh the face for a 2nd time. I froze the subdevision levels and masked off the area I wanted to Zremesh. The result was a much better and correct flowing topology.

Old Topology

New Topology

After this I continued to polish, added the platform and also a placeholder wall to see how it would look in place. Added hair and adjusted her according to feedback I got both from critique sessions and also the tutors and friends.



Since I have earlier experience with creating tilable textures I decided to create my own tilable scale alpha. I made a blog post about it here.

After adding the scales I kept polishing it and also added the water tube. I later decided to remove the wall because it blocked the view from behind. I now felt satisfied with my high poly sculpt and moved on to create a lowpoly and UVW Wrapped it using UV master. The texturing process I will show in another blog post.



No comments:

Post a Comment