Thursday 6 November 2014

BA1 - Character Iterations

Next up on the list was Character Iterations. I picked 3 of my favourite silhouettes and from there tried to create something from them. Since this was my first time I have ever made 2D Concept Art my mindset when going into the iterations was a bit odd. I somehow got into the mindset that since I was supposed to come up with something original I couldn't look at references. This clearly showed in the quality of my work since working without references or inspirations makes my art alot worse and some stuff didn't make sense at all. So basicly what i did after doing my first few iterations after working on them for a week without progressing i decided to revamp the character iterations from scratch. This time around I looked at a lot of references and did proper research before drawing them and it clearly shows in the quality difference.

Old Character Iterations


As you can see i clearly struggled getting the proportions right and I was struggling more with getting lighting and other stuff right than the outfit itself which is not right when the main purpose is to brainstorm ideas of outfits. So as I mentioned earlier I did a complete revamp with proper research and here is what I came up with instead.
This first set of Character Iterations I had the theme "Fur" in my mind. I tried going for a "wildling" look and what I used as references was various images of people wearing fur and also for the last one I added some sort of Roman clothing.

References for my 1st batch of iterations


As for the second batch of iterations I wanted to try mix even more wildling feel to her, i did this by adding tattered clothing and try out some cloak designs to her. When I made the last one of those 3 I really felt like I started to get close to what I had imagined my character to look like so for the 3rd sheet you will see that i re-used the top part. 

References for my 2nd batch of iterations


As i mentioned earlier, the 3rd one on the 2nd batch of iterations realy stuck with me and i started to create stories in my head about my character. I started coming up with how her village had been pillaged and burned down by Romans when she was small and thus she became a wildling. So what i started looking up was Roman armor designs and tried to merge them to her design.
References for my 3rd batch of iterations



The one i ended up choosing was the middle one.


The reason why I choose this one as my final iterations was because I felt that she presented the wild feeling I wanted of her. With tattered red roman cloth and a improvised shoulder armor it really gives the feel of her not living in a city but out in the wilds. The fancy Roman skirt that she wears I got a story in my head about how she killed a Roman officer and wears it to frighten her opponents.

No comments:

Post a Comment