Monday 10 November 2014

BA1 - Face Iterations

Before going on to the Model Sheet I wanted to create a face for my character. A lot of the personality in a character comes from the armour design, but I think the face does a massive job in this department as well so I wanted this done before I started detailing my characters armour.

I started off by thinking about what I wanted my character to look like and since I got the armour design down and that one was very inspired by wilderness and though I wanted a face to represent that as well. When I think about toughness in female face shapes I see harsh edges and a wide chin. I wasn't aiming for my character to look beautiful in any way all I wanted her to represent is being a strong female character just like Boudicca. I started looking up different references and I rather quickly found a face that I really liked and from there I started working on the face.

The main reference i used for my face


I really liked this face because she had everything I was searching for my character to have. Harsh shapes and a wide chin, also freckles since I had this picture in my head that I wanted her to have wild ginger hair. 


I had planned to draw about 3 faces but after spending way to much time on this one face I was really happy with the outcome, so I went with it straight away cause she looked like having the personality i was aiming for.

The next step was making different face painting for her. Since I knew she also would have bodypaint i didn't want to give her too much face paint so I went for some more simple designs. I also really wanted to get the feel that she used her fingers to apply it so I made them very loose and rough.

References i used for my face paint iterations.




The one I choose to use for my final character is the middle one. I choose this one cause I found it very fitting for the style I was going for while the other ones felt a bit too Viking-esque.

No comments:

Post a Comment