Tuesday 5 May 2015

BA3 - Final Project Preperation

Okay so we have now received our final project for BA3 and what we will have to create is some sort of Folly. We have a soft limit of 10 meter square and it have to be a game ready asset, so we have to think a lot about optimization and proper topology while creating this asset.

Since I have never heard about the term "Folly" I started by doing a little bit of research and collected images for a moodboard.


Since I have studied a lot about Gothic architecture I will be creating something using this architectural style. I also want to involve some sort of buttress and pointed archway into my folly because those two are the main innovations of Gothic style. I really liked the idea of having a 8 sided folly where you can view it from every side. So I gave it a go and created a blockout.


I really liked the idea of it being next to the water as well and though this would give nice environment for the folly to be located in. So I gave it a test render in Zbrush.



After giving it some thought I really wasn't pleased with how this folly came out so I decided to go back to the drawing board. I continued my research of Follies and found that some cathedrals in America have graveyards full of Gothic folly's. I wound this very interesting and started gathering images of this. I found one that I really got attached to that was called "Dexter Mausoleum" located in Spring Grove's graveyard.


As you can see this looks like a sort of miniature version of a cathedral. I got really inspired by this and wanted to achieve something similar with my folly. Of course since I have about 2 weeks I cannot create something as detailed as this but I will try to use modules and tileable textures etc to achieve something similar in the time I got. Also to save time I will re-use some of my studies in this model, such as the doorway and the window.


I also created a modularity board to show me what parts I need to create that are unique and which ones that can be copied to several places.


I also created a asset list just to keep in check how many assets I will have to create.




No comments:

Post a Comment