Wednesday 20 May 2015

BA3 - Creation of the Final - Modules

Now with the tileable textures done and the window and door ready to become modules I merged them together with the tileable wall texture I created. 


It was now time to create the flying buttress that is another feature that Gothic architecture was known for. I created this by the same workflow as the window and door. First I created a High Poly version to later make it into Low Poly and bake the textures. I created the texture by using Substance Painter and Photoshop.


Now I had enough modules to start building the miniature cathedral itself. I realised that the blockout I had made was a bit to narrow and it did look very odd in the front with just a doorway and no windows. So I decided to make the cathedral a bit wider and add 2 windows next to the doorway. For the railing next to the roof I took the decorative part from the buttress. This saved me both time and also performance because now I could use the same texture for them both.


Now it was time for the circle window at the top of the cathedral, I decided to create a rosé window because many Gothic cathedrals have those kind of windows on the front. 

To save time I took parts of the window I had created and made a rosé shaped frame. To show the progress of this window I made this image.


To create the middle of the window, for the bricks I sculpted in Zbrush and baked. The center of that rose is the only texture I haven't made myself on the whole cathedral. If I had the time I would probably make something myself but time was of the essence.

With the rosé window in place the cathedral was now done, next blog post will be the final renders.

No comments:

Post a Comment