Friday 16 January 2015

BA2 - Moodboards

After doing some research it was time to create some moodboards. What I was looking for while creating my moodboards were ideas I could use in my final Iterations. I looked up various kinds of mermaids and also creatures that resembles them in one way or another. I also decided to look up different kinds of materials to see what kinds I found interesting/could potentially use.

For my first moodboard, I decided to look up how artists portray their mermaids when doing sculpts/statues of them. Also to see which materials were generally used. One picture that really stood out to me on this one is the green where she has her tail upwards. The pose really lends itself to the way gravity moves the water downwards, which is perfect for a water spout.

(Click to Enlarge)

For my second Moodboard I took at look at more traditional beautiful Mermaids. This will help me get the main shapes and also a understanding how the traditional ones look.

(Click to Enlarge)

Then I looked at how monster-like mermaids were portrayed. I found several pictures which had details I was very interested in using for my final iteration. I like how you can very much see the beauty left in them while others went a completely different route to make them look quite sinister.

(Click to Enlarge)

Now I had to start thinking outside of the box and find other kind of creatures that look similar to mermaids, and those I can get ideas from. The first that came to mind was the Naga, famously known from World of Warcraft where they are a race which live underwater. They have a very similar shape to Mermaids, but are more beastly in looks, and normally wear armour of some sort.

(Click to Enlarge)

Another creature that I thought of was Medusa, a gorgon from Greek mythology. She also has a similar body shape, but more of a snake like tail than a fishtail.

(Click to Enlarge)

I also looked up Dreanei's from World of Warcraft. I liked the idea of my character having some kind of horns on her head so I will probably end up using dreanei as a reference there.

(Click to Enlarge)

 I thought about different ways of making my character more interesting, and another way was adding vegetation to her. I'm slightly uncertain about this though, because it could also mean her design becoming too cluttered and draw the attention off her form instead.

(Click to Enlarge)

Material wise I started off my looking at more traditional materials used for statues. I will probably use something like this for the upper body but for the scales I will play around with a bit more interesting materials.

(Click to Enlarge)

When looking up a bit more interesting materials I found some sculpts were made using wood. I really like the idea of having her scales in carved wood so I will maybe go for that.

(Click to Enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment