Saturday 10 January 2015

BA2 - Gargoyle Ideas

BA2 - Gargoyle Ideas

After researching Gargoyles, it was time to explore my own ideas and decide what I wanted to create for this project. Since we are allowed to make the gargoyle fit into any style we want, I started by figuring out which styles I liked. This also gave me the opportunity to create something I haven't worked on before. Here are the ideas which came to mind, as well as some pros and cons to make the decision between picking them easier.  

Steampunk Gargoyle 

My first idea when receiving this project was that I wanted to make something different. I have always liked the idea of Steampunk and how it allows for very creative designs. Since the gargoyle needs to have a water spout, I came up with an idea that the water that goes into the gargoyle could come out as steam instead. With this steam I could do a lot of different things such as the smoke out of a shotgun barrel, or from a gentleman’s smoking pipe.

Pros
  • Make water go in -> Steam out.
  • Makes for interesting materials, such as Copper, Wood, Metal, etc.
  • Steam could be used for something interesting, such as smoke from a rifle, a pipe, dragons breath, etc.
 Cons
  • Most 3D Modelling will be made in Maya while the project is about Zbrush.
  • Can easily end up looking messy.
Steampunk Moodboard
(Click to enlarge)
 

Stylized Gargoyle

Another idea I am interested in is Stylised. When I mention Stylized, what I think about is World of Warcraft, and how they make everything very low poly. They also add interesting shapes to later make and texture using Zbrush.

Pros
  • Stylized is a good way to make rock textures appear more aesthetically pleasing.
  • Allows for a more chisselled look
  • Most, if not all of it can be done in Zbrush.
 Cons
  • Restricts me from doing PBR (Physics Based Rendering)
  • Will not use neither Specular or Normal map in final render.
 Stylized Moodboard
(Click to enlarge)


Mermaid Gargoyle

The final idea I have is to create a Mermaid. Since the purpose of a gargoyle is to push away water, I thought this theme would fit quite well. Considering I'm used to working from a concept, it would be more of a challenge to come up with a creative design, however I think the pros make up for it and I would learn a lot in the process.

Pros
  • Allows for a variation of different materials.
  • Will have good use of both Zbrush and Maya.
  • Fits with the water theme.
  • Will have to use many different sculpting techniques.
 Cons
  • A bit more difficult to come up with a creative design.
 Mermaid Moodboard
(Click to enlarge) 

No comments:

Post a Comment