Monday 27 March 2017

BA3b - Week 9 Summary


BA3b  - Week 9 Summary

To start off with I have amazing news this week! I got the job at Rare! I will now be joining Rare LTD as a Environment Artist Intern starting from July! I am SUPER excited about this and it's an amazing feeling to finally enter the industry that I have been chasing towards since I was 13 years old!

Sea of Thieves, developed by Rare LTD

On the pirate cove the progress I made this week was to replace the awful placeholder rope bridge that has been there way to long and also more level building. 

Placeholder rope bridge

To create the new rope bridge I used previously created assets. I imported the planks from the construction kit created in the last blogpost and used the rope texture I created a while back.


I now used soft select to bend the bridge and add the "Gravity" to it. I then added hand bars and also added a bit of variation to the planks to make the bridge a bit more interesting.


And here are some screenshots of it in the environment.



While watching the show 'Black Sails' I saw an asset which I thought would really fit into my pirate cove and that was a Lantern. I needed more light sources so figured i'd create it. A quick google search got me to the actual creator of many props for the show and I found the lantern!

Lantern prop used for the TV Show 'Black Sails'

This was a very simple and straight forward prop to make. As usual I first created the High Poly to later bake onto a LP and then textured it here are some images of the process.



Finished lantern rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2

Lantern in my environment


With the lantern done I then decided to create one of the most classic pirate assets there are. Rum bottles. I found an image online that had a lot of various interesting shapes so decided to just use them as a reference.

Reference Image


Finished bottles in Marmoset Toolbag 2

I tried to create a version with a label on as well but it felt really fake and when watching pirate films/shows there are never any labels on their rum bottles so it made more sense to just leave it without one. I also created a green and a brown version of the texture to add some variation to it.




No comments:

Post a Comment