Monday 13 March 2017

BA3b - Week 7 Summary


BA3b - Week 7 Summary

This week I unfortunately was not able to progress as much as i'd like to with the cove since I had my on location interview at Rare LTD. However, I did manage to create some new filler assets for the scene to fill out the environment with, more specifically crates and boxes!

To start with I created the shapes of various crates/boxes in Maya. I only created 4 but when these are done I will be able to make modifications to them (Such as texture swaps etc.) and by doing so increase the variation in the scene. 


With these done I imported them to Zbrush and started sculpting. By using alpha masks I can achieve pretty realistic looking wood. The reason why I took the time to sculpt the wood rather than just applying a texture is because I use the information from the normal map to add sand/moss etc into the creases etc. The end result when texturing just overall turns out a lot better.

For a larger image click HERE


With the high poly done I then created low poly by using decimation tool in Zbrush and cleaned it up/removed unnecessary planes in Maya. I then baked and textures the various crates in Substance Painter 2.


And here is the end result rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2. As you might see I have added the East Indian Trading company logo to some of the crates, this is to enhance the story that this is boxes full of loot that the pirates have plundered from various ships.



With all these assets done I then scattered them around the environment and it really made a big change and made the scene a lot more interesting! I also updated my portfolio with these new screenshots.





Professional Practice

As mentioned above, this week I had my on location interview at Rare LTD's HQ and it was amazing to see their studio in person! Since I am not sure how much I can write about this I will keep it brief but the Interview went very well and it was an amazing experience overall! Now all I can do is wait to hear back if I get the position or not! 

No comments:

Post a Comment