Monday 20 March 2017

BA3b - Week 8 Summary


BA3b - Week 8 Summary

This week I continued to work on a few more assets for the Pirate Cove and also do a bit of level building. To start off with I figured it was time to create a rope texture since it will be useful for all the random pieces of rope scattered around the scene as well as the structures that will be in the environment. I created the texture using Substance Designer.



Result in Marmoset Toolbag 2

When creating the material in the engine I applied an effect called POM 'Parallax Occlusion Mapping' to it. This is an effect that uses the height map to give the illusion of depth. This is a WAY cheaper technique than using tessellation since its not adding anything to the geometry, although this is still a rather expensive technique to use so if i notice that it make the environment run slower I will remove this effect. But for now this makes the rope look a lot better so I will keep it for now. 

Material in Unreal Engine

Rope in environment with 'Parallax Occlusion Mapping'  applied.

With the rope texture done I now decided to start working on a few construction set assets. These i will be using to build most of the structures in the scene. Mostly this will just be a set of planks which I then can scale/rotate etc to build with. My approach to these were the same as last weeks crates and boxes.
Zbrush Sculpt

I then textured them using Substance Painter. When these were done I started to build more on the environment. There isn't a lot that I can write about it rather than I was looking at various concept art pieces for inspiration but other than that it was mostly just placing objects and further improve the cave. Here are screenshots of where it's at now.







No comments:

Post a Comment