Monday 6 February 2017

BA3b - Week 2 Summary


BA3b - Week 2 Summary


This week I started to replace the various bits and bobs that I was not satisfied with for the BA3a hand in. Firstly I continued to learn how Substance Designer worked and followed a tutorial of how to create realistic looking sand by Josh Lynch.

This tutorial was super helpful and I managed to create a much better looking sand texture to add to the pirate cove. The main goal of this texture was to create a sand variation that had the look of people walking though it and to show where the pirates moved around in the cave. I also created it because of how it would look strange with perfectly smooth sand everywhere in a cave that had been resided in.

Substance Designer Overview

Closeup of the substance (Click to enlarge)

Here is the final result rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2! I'm very pleased with the result and excited to see it in the engine!



With the knowledge I have now gathered from the tutorials I have been following about Substance Designer, it was now time to try make and make a texture entirely from scratch. Up next is a Mud texture to replace the awful looking placeholder mud I used for the last hand in.

Mud Substance Overview

Final result in Marmoset Toolbag 2

I am quite pleased with the result! I decided to make the water puddles in the texture quite blurry since I believe if it would be a perfect reflection then it would use a lot more from the machine to render. Since the water is also supposed to be very dirty, a perfect reflection looks odd.

Here are a few pictures showing off these two new textures in the environment!
Old Sand

New sand texture mixed with the old one.


Old placeholder mud texture

Replaced with new mud texture


Professional Practice

I got a reply from Rare and they were impressed by my application and want me to have a interview over Skype in a few days! Very excited (and of course a bit nervous) for the interview! It's also a nice boost to my confidence to hear back that a games company that I truly respect like my work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment