Monday 20 February 2017

BA3b - Week 4 Summary


BA3b - Week 4 Summary

This week I spent continuing working on assets and built on the environment. I also expanded it and added another larger area to the cave.

To start with, while playing Witcher 3 I noticed that they had created various assets such as buckets and damaged versions of barrels, so figured I could do the same with my barrel to save some time. Here is the result:


I also saw something really interesting while playing the game "The Elder Scrolls: Online" where in a pirate themed dungeon, the pirates that lived there had scavenged parts of their ships to hold up the cave. This was really clever and I thought I could use it for my environment. It's a good way to include a pirate ship while not having to model all of it which would take way too long with the time I have available.

As usual, I started by creating a low poly in Maya to later sculpt the wood in Zbrush. I also used alphas to create the wood texture on it. The reason why I do it this way is because I use the baked information when applying sand/moss to the wood.
High Poly Sculpt in Zbrush

Texturing in Substance Painter

Result in Marmoset Toolbag 2

And here is the result with these assets implemented in the Environment.



I also expanded on the cave this week by adding another room which is way larger than all the other ones. Again, I got my inspiration from The Elder Scrolls: Online where their pirate dungeon had a very different sense of scale than my cove and felt like I needed a room that was a bit more open than my other ones which are rather small and closed in.

Screenshot from The Elder Scrolls: Online

Very early version of my larger room

I also created a new video of the environment to be able to easily show off the scene and receive feedback.

Professional Practice


Rare LTD contacted me the other day and invited me to a on location interview! I am super excited to have come this far in the application process!

No comments:

Post a Comment