Monday 13 February 2017

BA3b - Week 3 Summary


BA3b - Week 3 Summary

This week I started to create a document which included all the objects I WISH to have in the cave. I do not plan to make all of them but it's good to just get all the ideas  I have out there and to to plan which assets are the most important etc.

I decided to start with a fireplace and some barrel props. Both of these can be scattered around the cave to fill the scene and also with the fireplace being a good source of light to make the lighting a bit more interesting.

The process to create the fireplace was a very straight forward one. I started off by sculpting the rocks in Zbrush to decimate them and make the rest of the fireplace in Maya. Since no bake information was needed, I just created a low poly and then used substance painter to add the normal detail.

Fireplace Texturing in Substance Painter

Fireplace in Marmoset Toolbag 2

As for the fire particles I will be using one of the stock Unreal Engine fire effects since it's perfect for this use and looks great.

Up next was to create a barrel. My process for this was to first create a high poly and sculpt it in Zbrush. I then brought it in to substance painter to texture.


Zbrush Sculpt

When texturing the assets for the pirate cove I always keep the environment around the object in mind. Like adding sand to it and also a hint of green to resemble moss to give the asset history which makes it appear more real.
Texturing in Substance Painter

End result in Marmoset Toolbag 2


When these two assets were done I populated the environment with them and here are some pictures of the result:



And here is a GIF to show it in motion.


Professional Practice

The Skype interview with Rare LTD went very well and it was an awesome experience! The people I spoke to were super cool and we had quiet a few good laughs! I truly enjoyed it and all I can do now is wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment