Monday 3 October 2016

BA3a - Week 2 Summary - Creative Practice


Creative Practice

Pitching the Idea

This week started off by us pitching our ideas using the 2 slide presentation we got a week to create. The first of the slides had to cover our creative practice project while the other slide would be about our 5000 word long research report. 


As you can see what I want to create for my Creative Practice project is a Pirate Cove environment. This project got green lit by the tutors which means I can start working on it right away. I decided to create a pirate environment because if you spend such long time on one scene I feel like you have to be passionate about the theme and have a interest in it which I do have with pirates. It was either going with that or with a medieval setting but our tutor Chris said a fair point that medieval scenes have been done so many times while a pirate cove would stick out in a portfolio. 

There are also lots of places for me to draw inspiration from, all from films, books, games and so on. It will also be a very modular environment which allows me to scale the cave as i go along and see how large I can create it in the amount of time given.

The setting will be the Cliche/Romanticised pirate, think more Pirates of the Caribbean style pirate rather than the real gritty version. Where I want skeletons, rum, treasure and all that classic pirate stuff that you think about when hearing pirate rather than the dirty real pirates.
The cove will have a gang of pirates living there so I will have to come up with a design for their flag and also come up with a story of how this group found the cove.

One of the most important parts will be that I want lots of Environmental story telling in the cove, this is to make it a lot more interesting than just a ordinary environment, this will be added towards the later parts of the creation process but it's good to have it in mind already.

I also had to question which sort of art style I want for this environment. I narrowed it down to creating a realistic art style similar to ones used in Uncharted 4: A Thief's End, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and of course Assassin's Creed Black Flag. The reason for this is because 'most' the companies I want to end up working with use a realistic sort of art style so creating this project with a stylised approach would not make very much sense. 



As for my research report I got a amber light for now which means I am on track but will have to re-think it a bit before going ahead. The issue right now is that my theme is too broad and I need to narrow it down a bit more. I also have to think about what style of essay I want to write for this one. I will have a meeting with Sharon regarding this and hopefully next week I will have a good idea of what I want to write about for my research report.

The Pirate Cove

Narrowing down the feeling

With the pirate cove idea green lit it was now time to start researching different sources of inspiration for what I want with my cove. An excellent source of concept art comes from Assassin's Creed: Black Flag which is a game that takes place in the same setting as my cove. 

Moodboard of Concept Art from Assassin's Creed: Black Flag

I really liked how these concepts had such a different feel in each picture even tho most of them were inside a pirate cave. This made me realise that even tho It all will be one location there are still lots of opportunities to make the places within the environment distinct from each other and allows me to create plenty of areas of interest.

As for how I want the 'player' to experience this pirate cove it would be in a similar fashion as when you explore a dungeon in Skyrim. Therefor I found it suitable to build it in the same way as Bethesda build their dungeons in that game by building the environment using modular assets and create as you go along. I have tried to create organic environments before using white boxing but the result never really ends up as nice and natural as when you create a few assets and start building from there. 

Images of various dungeons in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

What I will spend the next week on is doing research about pirates and more specifically the "Golden Age of Piracy" since that's the time period my environment will be taking place and also focusing on the next task.

No comments:

Post a Comment