Sunday 25 October 2015

BA2A - Week 5


Week 5 Summary

UI Graphics update

Since I now had my new setting it was time to rework the UI to fit the theme. Since it has a celtic/tribal setting I figured I could use celtic symbols to represent the different stats and leather as the menu background. The UI went through a few iterations due to feedback.

UI Mockup

First UI iteration ingame

As you can see I used leather as a backdrop for the Inventory and the stats, I got some realy good feedback that the temperature meter looked more like a waterdrop than cold so I ended up changing that one. I also did not like how the hearth came out, it's a bit too messy, so I changed to a less cluttered version of a Celtic hearth. 

Final UI

I also changed the cursor for the game to again increase the player immersion. To explain the UI a bit more I will include one of my pages from the pitch document. 



Fireplace Fuel System

This week I also started working on a fuel system for my Fireplace. The system will basically require the player to gather wood to fuel the campfire and keep it alive. This was inspired by ARK: Survival Evolved where they do have a very similar system. However, I did stumble upon some issues which did not get resolved this week. For some reason my Blueprints have an issue communicating with eachother. I did create a forum post on the Epic Forums to hopefully get this problem solved.



Pitch Document Progress


As you may have seen above, the pitch document is progressing nicely. I did have an issue with coming up with a good looking design for it. I tried to make the presentation fit to the Celtic/Tribal theme so first I tried to have a cave background but it was way to noisy. I thought for myself which games are fantasy setting but still have a very nice slick UI. Then Skyrim came to mind, so as you may have noticed it is very inspired by Skyrim's UI design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment